From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 21:38:23 -0500
---- LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> i have been working with a 29 yr old twins mom since before birth.=20
> (permission to post)  her girls were born 5 weeks early ...
>  i have told her stories of women whose
> babies have learned to latch months down the road.  these stories are not
> enough anymore, and though she is so strong and committed she is nearly
> done.  she says if it will take a lot of work and training then she can't
> do it.  but if it is possible for them to grow into it without much fuss
> then she will stick it out.  any thoughts on what might be around the
> corner for them or ideas for why things aren't working better?

Alissa, she is lucky to have your help through these months. I've met several MOT -- in person and via the internet -- whose babies have made it to breast after months. I'm assuming the babies have been assessed for tongue and palate issues?  Some of the behaviors described and the mothers' nipple issues as described sound as if they could be related to previous bottle teats used that may have had too fast flow rates. Also, a babymoom as each baby's BF is improving can be invaluable, but I've found that babymooning with more than one at a time can be overwhelming for a MOT and her partner. I've also found via trial and error (or make that error and trial) that the mother needs to be the one to choose the time -- she needs to feel ready from a confidence point of view.

What to try now? Assuming there are no apparent issues re: either infant's oral anatomy or mother's breast anatamy, how much kangaroo mother care (KMC) is occurring? Training, etc. focus on "doing to" babies while much of BF relies on letting each baby set the pace. KMC places a baby in the breastaurant without pressure to perform (and it lets mom enjoy close contact with babies without pressure). Eventually, the fragrance of the food, the ambience, etc. can entice each baby to experiment with the available cuisine.

In the past there have been mothers whose multiples took quite awhile before they got to breast on the Yahoo group AP Multiples. If she'd like to join, one of the first links on my web site (under Links at www.karengromada.com/) is for that group.

Also, it may help to think and help her think of these babies as about 2 mos vs. 3 mos. I find it almost always helps mothers when they think per babies' full-term age vs. chronological age. These were preterm babies who weren't mature enough to sustain coordination of suck-swallow-breathe at birth -- as expected. Then their oral spaces had to adjust to whole bunch of other "stuff." That they need some extra time to sort out all these oral experiences is reasonable. But you can't beat KMC as a place to start...

Karen