From:
Nicole Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:00:55 -0700
"I would like some suggestions for things to say back
to people like that, or what has worked with others in
the past. Some sort of positive rebuttal or a way to
stand up for myself without arguing when she is
spewing mud.
Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC"

I don't have any professional advice to offer, but I
can try offering some personal advice.  I realize this
would not work for all of these types of people,
however... what about trying to show them how
important their influence can be?  That they can make
or break a woman's decision to bf?  When my son was
born, the LC for my hospital was on vacation.  I was
having a great deal of difficulty (my son was big, and
I myself am not a small woman).  I couldn't find a
comfortable position, he wouldn't stay latched on, and
we were both tired and frustrated.  I rang for the
nurse, who was a rather crabby old lady.  She stomped
in, shoved him onto my breast, declared that we were
fine, and marched out.  Obviously, he came off and
started to cry as soon as she left, as did I!
Fortunately, I was not on the fence about
breastfeeding, and stuck with it.  This woman may not
have cared that she would have been responsible if I
HAD changed my mind, but maybe, just maybe, it COULD
have made a difference for her.  (BTW - the LC called
me at home after her vacation and was horrified about
my story... but knew exactly who I was talking about!)

Nicole