From:
Fiona Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:39:05 +1200
Dear all
(I have permission to post)

I am caring for a woman who is 35 weeks pregnant, and who has had 1 previous
C/S for breech presentation.In this pregnancy she has a low-lying placenta
with vasa praevia (blood vessels very close to the servical os) and so is
having a repeat elective C/S. The growth of this baby is <5%
and she is being monitored closely. Current estimated weight is 1930g. I am
her primary provider, and can have a lot of input post-natally.

She is very keen to breastfeed and fed her older child for about 10 months.
Apart from the 'usual' care of skin-to-skin in theatre, early and frequent
breastfeeding and pumping to encourage supply and provide EBM, I also
planning to help the mother to harvest colostrum
ante-natally so as to hopefully avoid formula use.  the baby may well go to
the NICU, in the not-so-intensive nursery or the 'fattening' nursery. I have
access to a lact-aid and will discuss that with her.
We don't (yet) have a milk bank in NZ.
Is there anything else anyone can think of to do either now or at birth???

Fiona Hermann
midwife, IBCLC
Hamilton, NZ