From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:53:06 -0800
Susan posts:
"How many of us warn parents who feed powdered formula on the dangers of
using *bottled water*?"

This warning is new to me.  What are the dangers of using purified filtered
bottled water with formula-not Nestle brand, of course?  I always have
bottled with me when in a fluoridated city and I prefer Evian's taste as it
contains magnesium.  I don't drink city fluoridated water or even cook with
it.  Besides making coffee in my own hotel room with my own water, I buy my
coffee and tea from Starbucks, as they use reverse osmosis filtration.  I
would prefer to use city tap water, but am intolerant of fluoride in any
substance, toothpaste, tap water or pharmaceutical, and 75% of the US is now
fluoridated. Newest EPA & DHHS recommendation is that levels be lowered from
"optimal" 1ppm to .7ppm.

The ADA has gone on record to say if a community has fluoridated water,
bottled non-fluoride water is preferred to make up powdered infant formula.
Babies whose formula is made with 1ppm fluoridated city water are getting
200 times the dose of fluoride of a breastfed baby daily--due to a total
liquid diet for their first six months.  Mothers' breasts filter out
fluoride no matter the level she consumes.  Unfortunately, fluoride crosses
the placenta.
And their blood brain barrier is not completely formed until about six
months.

Fluoride is a potent neurotoxin, besides affecting the thyroid, kidneys,
pineal gland and implicated in childhood bone cancer.  Anyone on this list
may email me for an EPA Phd chemist's letter.  His EPA union of scientists
filed an amicus brief with NRDC long ago in 1986 to get fluoridation
discontinued.
Judy

Effects of the fluoride on the central nervous system.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21255877

http://www.ada.org/sections/scienceAndResearch/pdfs/patient_70.pdf
dFor infants who get most of their nutrition from formula during their first
12 months, ready-to-feed formula is preferred to help ensure that their
fluoride intake does not exceed the optimal amount.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/pediatrics;115/2/496.pdf
13. Supplementary fluoride should not be provided during the first 6 months
of life.202

. From 6 months to 3 years of age, the decision whether to provide fluoride
supplementation should be made on the basis of the fluoride concentration in
the water supply (fluoride supplementation generally is not needed unless
the concentration in the drinking water is_0.3 ppm) and in other food, fluid
sources,