From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 06:13:28 -0700
Debi, has anything traumatic happened to the mother?
I have seen several mothers lose a bountiful milk
supply suddenly for non-physiological reasons.  This
is tricky because a woman may not wish to share an
intimate tragedy.  I am thinking of one woman I saw
whose milk supply plummeted the day she discovered her
husband was having an affair.  I use this example
because sometimes mothers withhold information for
very human reasons.

Along the same lines, I have seen more than one woman
withhold information because she did not wish to admit
doing something harmful (such as smoking) or because
it did not seem related in her mind (like a recently
diagnosed heart condition).  Though it may seem
strange to us, I've seen women "forget" important
details like a recent or upcoming surgery in the
middle of a discussion about possible health
challenges in the infant.  When I'm stumped I
sometimes follow-up with a rephrasing of key
questions, highlighting my thinking.  And then there's
the ever-popular "What do YOU think is going on?
What's your gut feeling?"  Moms know.

Sometimes when the mother also feels like a friend it
can get in the way of being candid.

Susan Johnson  MFA, IBCLC