From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:51:10 -0600
Interesting discussion here.  I remember hearing a researcher from Hartmann labs I think a few years ago who had an idea to develop some sort of small system/machine that would take a mother's own milk and make it into a substance he called "Breast Milk Boost" for use by the VLBW infant.  Don't know where his idea went but it sounds good to me.  My focus here in my hospital is to get policies and procedures and nursing commitment to get EVERY mom of a VLBW NICU baby pumping early and often and hand-expressing to get those milk volumes up so every baby gets it's own mom's milk.  Or chief neo is much in favor.  He donated a creamatocrit machine to the lactation dept. so we could do the analyses for these babies and boost calories.   He is definitely impressed with all the info on NEC and preemies that is overwhelmingly in favor of mom's milk.  But we have to get the square one done before we do square two and three.