From:
"Laura A. Mundt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:37:48 -0800
I sent Naomi a separate message off list, hopefully, addressing her
question about how epidurals are "botched."  If anyone else wants
that info, let me know and I would be glad to send you the message I
sent her.

In searching through my epidural files, I found a few references for
epidural effects on babies:

Lieberman, E and O'Donoghue, C.  Unintended effects of epidural
analgesia during labor:  a systemic review,  May 2002, Am J Obstet
Gynecol

Baumgardner, DJ, et al.  Effect of Labor Epidural Anesthesia on
Breast-Feeding of Healthy Full-Term Newborns Delivered Vaginally.  J
Am Board Fam Pract 16(1) 7-13, 2003

(the following are all referenced in the 1987 ICEA position statement
on epidurals--this document was updated in 1999, but I can't get my
hands on that copy.)
Arvad C, Minrod C. 1985. Risks and Benefits of obstetric epidural
analgesia:  a review.  Birth 12 (4):215-225

Bennet A, et al.  Review artice on the use of epidural bupivacaine
for the relief ot childbirth pain.  Australian Paediatric J 23:  13-19

Clark R. 1985.  Fetal and neonatal effects of epidural anesthesia.
Obstetrics and Gynecology Annual 14.

Corke B and Spielman F.  1985.  Problems associated with epidural
anesthesia in obstetrics.  Obstetrics and Gynecology 65:  837-839

Murray AD, et al.  1981.  Effect of epidural anesthesia on newborns
and their mothers.  Child development 52:  71-82.

Rosen M, et al.  1984.  Evaluation of neurotoxicity after
subarachnoid injection of large volumes of local anesthetic
solutions.  Obstetric Anesthesia Digest 4(1): 28-29

Rosenblatt DB, et al. 1981.  The influence of maternal analgesia on
neonatal behavior:  II epidural pupivacaine.  British J of Obstetrics
and Gynecology 88:407-413.

Scanlon, J, et al.  1976.  Neubehavioral responses and drug
concentrations in newborns after maternal epidural anesthesia with
bupivacaine.  Anesthesiology 45 (4):  400-405

Willdeck-Lund G, et al, 1979.  Effect of segmental epidrual blockon
the course of labour and the condition of the infant during the
neonatal peiod.  Anaesthesia Scandanavia 23:  301-311.

Also, you might want to look at:

ICAN's a position paper on Epidurals--Real Risks for Mother and Baby,
which can be found here:
http://www.ican-online.org/resources/white_papers/wp_epidurals1.htm

And a couple of really good, general purpose research-based books on
birth practices, which also include some info on how practices affect
the babies):

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, by Henci Goer (written
for consumers, but good info for practationers, too)

A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and childbirth, by Murray
Enkin, et al.  The text of this book is actually available online
(for free!) at:  http://www.maternitywise.org/guide/index.html

I typed all this in as fast as my fingers would go, so I hope I
didn't make too many errors in the references.

Laura Mundt, ICCE
Who works at a hospital with an 85% epidural rate and every time I
try to tell the families in my classes about the risks of epidurals,
I get branded as "anti-epidural."