From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:12:52 -0500
I have had a patient who's baby had Peirre Robin syndrome and cleft palate.
First weekend we had this child Nursing well at breast and transferring
milk. Mom had great nipples and we could occlude the cleft with no Oxygen
desaturation. Along comes the Cleft Palate Team from the other hospital an
says wa muct use bottles. After a few days baby lost weight they started
her on tube feeds and mom could not get her to suck on anything again, not
even a bottle for at least 4 months. She was taught to do gavage feeds. She
would now suggest that it should be a mother's choice, as long as the
baby's health is not compromised.

Attie Sandink RN. IBCLC.