From:
Alison Jacobson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:42:17 -0400
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 6:12 AM, LACTNET automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My thoughts--Western mothers eat atrociously poor diets and so do their
> babies. Even if you want to make the argument that even poorly fed women
> make good milk (and I firmly disagree), you cannot make this argument in a
> vacuum. I do not think Western mothers of child-bearing age are generally
> healthy to begin with and a toxic environment makes theneed for nutrients
> far greater, as the body rapidly depletes them in an effort to overcome the
> toxic load. Add to that the fact that so many women are having first babies
> later in
> life, when their bodies have had longer exposure to toxins and when they
> are often in even poorer health themselves.

> Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
> Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Jennifer -

While I can certainly appreciate your point of view regarding maternal
nutrition and its affects on breastmilk, do you have any evidence that the
milk of malnourished or undernourished mothers is indeed less nourishing
than those of healthy moms?  I would be very curious to see this, or to even
hear of other LC's anecdotes.  In fact, this is a common myth I have always
tried to fight, particularly with teenaged moms - that you don't have to be
a nutritional angel to breastfeed your child.  Now, I know we're talking
about degrees here in terms of nutritional status, but I'm still fascinated
by your assertion.  And before anyone mistakes my intention, I KNOW that
Jennifer is incredibly pro-nursing.  She's not advocating wholesale weaning
due to poor nutritional status of moms.  (In fact, one of the things I love
about this list is that the LC's can put ideas out there that we wouldn't
feel comfortable doing so in other forums for fear of being mistaken or
misquoted.)  It's like an LC who I revere once said to me, "Breastmilk has
to be pretty polluted before you go to formula."  Very wise words that I try
to remember.  Thanks!

Alison Jacobson

--
"We're only on earth for a little while so live life to the fullest and
carry a smile."