From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 17:29:38 -0500
I was interviewed by a Newsweek reporter yesterday for a story on toxic
chemicals in baby bottles.  Check out FYI: <http://www.ewg.org/node/25810>
BPA Comments for OEHHA <http://www.ewg.org/node/25810>   while you read the
rest of this message.

The reporter asked what mothers are doing when they hear bad things (risks)
about baby bottles. I said that in my experience, as mothers are becoming
more aware of the risks of bottles, nipples (teats) and formula, they are
trying harder to exclusively breastfeed, use a cup instead of a bottle, and
negotiate for workplace changes that facilitate direct breastfeeding, not
merely pumping their milk. If mothers insist on using bottles, I help them
find the least risky choices (including how to assess flow rate of the
various nipples on the market). I referred her to the Environment California
site which rates bottle manufacturers for toxins. She wasn't aware of the
Environment California site, nor that cup-feeding was an option, nor other
workplace accommodations such as on-site day care. She wasn't aware that
direct-from-the-breast had specific advantages to the baby over
bottle-feeding of pumped milk, including the change in fat levels during the
feed which affect appetite. I pointed out that the act of sucking at the
breast is important for the baby over and above the milk; the milk is
important in all cases, and the mother is important to the baby over and
above her milk and the sucking. I pointed out the recent articles about
bisphenol-A in formula cans and that powdered formula is not sterile. And
then sent her the AHRQ systematic analysis of breastfeeding outcomes in the
US and developed countries
http://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/evidence/pdf/brfout/brfout.pdf.

Miriam Labbok was also interviewed by this reporter.  The article should
appear in the Newsweek issue that hits the stands Monday Jan 7th.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre Ltd.

6540 Cedarview Ct, Dayton OH 45459 USA

(937) 438-9458 / fax (937) 438-3229

 <http://www.BFLRC.com> www.BFLRC.com