Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 10:13:00 -0700
Susan and Catherine, the way you are speaking using scales is not the problem.  You are supplying context and support AND experience in your evaluations.

As we all know, some people use test weighing as the sine qua non of nursing adequacy and this is the problem I should have more narrowly addressed rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I know some doctors insist we LCs do "before and after" weights.

But what if we weigh, as we should, without diapers right before a baby urinates or defecates??

Even the couple ounces of milk transferred may pale compared to the weight loss in the discarded diaper which was filled while the baby was nursing.

AND, what if they see the weight gain after a verified 4 ounce bottle of formula?  We're doomed.

BUT, I sure do understand what happens when you work with docs who are unsupportive of breastfeeding.

Maybe an answer would be to do BOTH weighings with the diaper on if you absolutely have to weigh.

Best,

Jay

Thumb-typed on Treo.
Typos included.