Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 10:13:00 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
Susan and Catherine, the way you are speaking using scales is not the problem.  You are supplying context and support AND experience in your evaluations.

As we all know, some people use test weighing as the sine qua non of nursing adequacy and this is the problem I should have more narrowly addressed rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I know some doctors insist we LCs do "before and after" weights.

But what if we weigh, as we should, without diapers right before a baby urinates or defecates??

Even the couple ounces of milk transferred may pale compared to the weight loss in the discarded diaper which was filled while the baby was nursing.

AND, what if they see the weight gain after a verified 4 ounce bottle of formula?  We're doomed.

BUT, I sure do understand what happens when you work with docs who are unsupportive of breastfeeding.

Maybe an answer would be to do BOTH weighings with the diaper on if you absolutely have to weigh.

Best,

Jay

Thumb-typed on Treo.
Typos included.

-----Original Message-----

Subj:  test weighing
Date:  Sat Jun 3, 2006 8:59 am
Size:  688 bytes
To:  [log in to unmask]

The problem happens when you have to work with pediatricians who DON'T trust the breastfeeding process (as you and I do)

If I do a test weight (using our delivery room gram scale) and see a good milk transfer (in a mother with an older baby whose milk has already come in well), Mom's confidence goes up and in addition, the pediatrician usually backs off, which helps Mon and baby even more.

If we had more docs like yourself the rest of us LC's wouldn't run into half the problems that we do.

Thanks.
 Betsy Riedel RNC, IBCLC
 Connecticut

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2