Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:12:01 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
While we bemoan formula being promoted in the Third World (and as I heard recently) bottle sterilizers being sent as standard equipment to distressed areas, I was saddened by such sabotage of breastfeeding in my own country.

At this time of year, Chanukah, Christmas, Ramadan, there are many appeals for food and donations for the disadvantaged.  Although this is a welfare state there is nevertheless a growing number under the poverty line.  This is partly the price of war and also because the majority of immigrants are from distressed countries and it takes time to help  them to get settled with work and homes.

This week I received an appeal from one of the distributors of food for the needy, an organization which I respect and and to whom I always send a donation.  But the focus of their appeal was "food for babies" with a large picture of a smiling baby, a bottle and a package of formula with the manufacturer`s name clearly identified.

I immediately responded to this and wrote that they should be appealing for funds to help mothers breastfeed, give them access to good quality support and counselling, supply breast pumps for women who are working.
If there are any counsellors in Israel who would like to use this letter, please contact me.And if any of you are prepared to offer help voluntarily or for a token fee, perhaps we could establish a network to co-ordinate with this organization.

And if anywhere in the world, there are counsellors who have seen similar appeals and wish to respond, I can let you have the English translation.

If and when I get a reply from the organization, I will keep you posted.

Wishing everyone happy festivals, whether it be Christmas, Chanukah or Ramadan or any other rejoicing of winter.

Wendy Blumfield
NCT Bfc
Israel Childbirth Education Center

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2