From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 16:35:30 -0500
 Norma Ritter posted:
 << The old system ensured that visitors were screened at the desk, and only
those on a
mother's list were permitted access. For those of you who work in hospital
settings, what
proceedures do you have,if any? This is very scary! >>

I gave birth in a hospital in 12/93 to my first child.  The hospital had
recently been renovated and had a small nursery and all deluxe, single
labor/delivery/recovery rooms.  The rooms were like being in a very nice
resort hotel. Rooming in was encouraged.  Visitation was extremely liberal,
dad and siblings could visit anytime plus anyone else who happened to want to
visit could come to your room any time of day and evening.  I thought this
was great before I had the baby, when my MIL showed up when I was 2 hours
postpartum and hadn't even held my baby yet (she was 35 wks and in nursery
since I had a major blood pressure crash 50/20 after delivery).
  I very much wanted my baby with me after the first night (I was still
catheterized and couldn't get out of bed) but could not sleep for ONE MINUTE
with her in the room knowing that just about anyone could and did walk into
my room.  I had maintenance guys fixing my drapery, a plumber fixing the
sink, countless orderlies and food service people, all walking into my room
over the five day stay.  There was truly NOTHING in the way of someone
walking into my room overnight, tucking my little five pound baby into their
winter coat, and walking out.  I was even close to the nurses' station, but
felt no safer.
   I am very curious to read how people working in hospital settings view
this!

  Lisa Jones, LLLL Wellington FL          [log in to unmask]