From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:56:52 -0500
I once heard a CRNA tell a nursing student who was observing a delivery and immediate pp care, "All babies are born in a state of drowning and it is our job to rescue them."!!!  No surprise that he did the most vigorous suctioning of every baby where he was in attendance.  (He would also exhibit very obvious impatience when a baby spent more than a few seconds on mom's chest after delivery thus interfering with his being able to get to his "important work".)   AAARRRGGGHHH!  I was so shocked that I couldn't say a thing, but did later have a chance to chat with the student and said that if his statement was true, it was a wonder any babies survived in the past and that the human species would have died out long ago if this intervention was so critical for normal deliveries.  Fortunately, after some patient complaints, the CRNAs were no longer present for normal deliveries, but instead stayed at the nurse's station "just in case".  Some of themwere very supportive, would do their assessments and APGAR score with baby on mom'schest.  This particular person later left (don't know if it was his choice or not) and I did notice less severe intervention and more baby on chest time became routine.  Still left a long way to go, but a definite improvement.
It scares me that such thinking may still be around.

Winnie