Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 09:15:18 EDT
We tell our moms that we would like to see 3-4 stools by day 3.  We say that
if this isn't happening, it may be perfectly normal, but that they should
call us so we can followup and assess the situation.  This will sometimes
lead to an outpatient consult, or just a gentle reminder of normal newborn
behaviors (cluster feedings, etc.)  In any case it prompts the moms as to a
sign that things might not be going well and they are quick to followup.
Claudia Globerger Rn/IBCLC