From:
ellen shein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:18:14 +0200
Here in Israel, we have been trying for the past year (at least) to get a law passed banning any type of advertising for formulas, bottles and pacifiers within the walls of hospitals, baby clinics, drs. offices which are located within a government or public institution. (this would include pharmacys and shops located inside the hospitals or clinics). We have come a long way, but now there is one question left open. The law, as it reads today, includes Day Care Centers. Now, funny as it may seem, both La Leche League and myself want to strike this from the proposed law.
Our esteemed colleagues from the Ministry of Health couldn't believe their ears, that we, of all people should let them off the hook. Here, babies are accepted into Day Care from 3 months and not before.

This was my line of thinking. After the initial proposed law came out, there was great objection from two main sources who are very strong politically. The Industrial Association (of course) and Na'amat which is the leading Women's organization. (Very much supportive of women getting right back into the work force, etc..) I think I wrote that I inititated a meeting with them because they didn't really understand that we are protecting women who choose to breastfeed but in no way would influence or compromise those who choose not to. AFter a long argument, they realized that we were not out there to threaten but to strengthen, but they did object then strongly to including day care centers because this is one of their main sources of income. They have the largest network of daycare centers in the country, or near to it. They, today, do not accept, nor do they need extra funding, but the spokesperson explained to me that ultimately, no one can tell what will happen with the economy and they would not want to be in a position where they would have to close, if it came to a time when they would need a sponsor.

Being a strong body here in our society, I would rather have them on our side and encourage women to breastfeed, by protecting their rights at the workplace, I would rather try to knit a close fabric with them then have them be angered by the fact that hypothetically we are including them in the same category as the hospitals and clinics, even though there may be a certain influence on moms, if there were to be adverts for formulas in the centers.

I believe that this is not the crucial and determining factor, for if a mom will continue breastfeed for the recommended 6 months. Once a mom will succeed in
1) making the initial decision to bf
2) receive all the help and support at birth and the first 14 days thereafter
3) enjoy a successful bf relationship for the first 3 months and hear from all her HCP's about the importance of exclusive bf for the first 6 months of life

then she will already have decided if to pump and carry on the exclusivity, or go over to formula.  I believe that the responsibility is in the hands of the HCP's and not daycare personnel.

I will present to the policy makers all of the facts and studies regarding the importance and outcome of early intervention. My question to all of you is, has there been any studies re daycare? Has it ever been an issue at all? I don't recall seeing or hearing anything regarding this matter.

I think the lack of information probably in itself indicates that it is not an issue. Maybe I am wrong? I would hate to have the law rejected because of this because I don't think it is a priority.

sorry for the length, and thanks for any input.

ellen shein, ibclc, Tel Aviv