From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:09:17 +0200
Forwarded from Trish Whitehouse, who is having some subscription trouble and
couldn't post it directly.
From: Trish Whitehouse [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
This is in response to the attachment disorder:

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in quite some time, but I do read the posts.
I just had to reply to this issue of attachment disorder, though.  Short
history of my son, Bobby, born with a congenital heart defect, one of his
three surgeries nearly killed him, and he was in ICU for 3 months.

When he was discharged, he had a big time attachment disorder.  He would
scream every time I picked him up, wanted to be left alone, preferred to be
in his car seat where he could rock his head back and forth to sooth himself
and then go to sleep.  He could not tolerate being in the sling for more
than a few seconds at first, and panicked when we brushed up against his
feet, thinking someone else was going to prick him for a blood draw.

It took a lot of ATTACHMENT work, ie sleep sharing, wearing in the sling,
cuddling next to my bare chest even though he was tube fed and couldn't
nurse, cobathing, as well as no separation from me in order for him to trust
that the world was a safe place, and only then could he attach to his
mother, family, and world.

Attachment disorder is a very sad, scary thing to see.  I didn't see the
original post, but obviously someone has this backwards.  Attachment
disorder is when a baby's world has been so invaded, by abuse or neglect (in
my son's case all the medical interruptions and life saving abuses from the
ICU) that the baby can not attach.

By the way, he did attach quite nicely, and is no different than my other 3
breastfed children, though with Bobby it was a lot more work, but oh so much
more important.

Trish (Shaking her head at the incredible ignorance of some people as to
what behaviors have naturally evolved in order for babies to survive)