From:
"Sara D. Roos" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:46:37 -0700
A fellow LLLL asked me tonight about how to reach our PL with a
medical question.  In the disarray of LLL nowadays, we are neither of
us clear on this.  But the question is urgent, important and
technical so I thought maybe someone here would be willing to hazard
some wisdom if you have it.

"
A mom called yesterday who has cohesive gel implants (aka the gummy
bear implant). Since they are made of solid material, they are not
supposed to leak. After two scans, it appears one leaked, or at least
a part broke off and moved into this mom's underarm.

She has a 21 month old who is nursing twice a day, and she is 12
weeks pregnant. Her doctor doesn't want to do surgery while pregnant.
The surgeon disagrees with the diagnosis (from a different doctor)
that the lump that is shown is leakage. They won't know until they go
inside.

This mom wants to know what side effects could happen for her newborn
if she/he nurses while this implant has potentially broken up/leaked
if she decides to follow her surgeon's instructions and leave it in
there.

Thanks for your help. "

Nicole, LLLL, IBCLC

--