From:
Melissa V Kirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 07:32:17 EST
[I got quite a few requests so I'm posting to the entire list. Melissa]
Melissa Kirsch told me that lactnet has had some discussion of lesbian
couples where both breastfeed their children.  She thought that my
experiences might be of interest to the group, so I am sending the
following, which was written for another list,  to her for submission.
Please feel free to ask me questions.  My email address is

        I am a lesbian mother.  My spouse, Stacy, and I have been married
since
1974.  We have three children:  Doran (10/25/88), Kendra (10/6/92) and
Zara (4/16/95), all of whom were conceived through alternative
insemination with unknown donors.  We both breastfed all three.  Doran
weaned at 26 months, Kendra at 31 months, and Zara is still nursing
frequently at 31 months.

        Stacy and I took turns giving birth with me going first.   We had
 never heard of the idea of inducing lactation until we attended a
 prenatal breastfeeding class.  The LC who taught the class told us
 about adoptive mothers who breastfeed and suggested (rather
 tentatively, unsure how we would react) that it might be possible for
 Stace to bf as well.  We were very excited by the idea, and wanted to
 try, and read pretty much everything we could find on the topic, as
 well as consulting with the lcs.  Stace quit her job shortly before
 Doran was born, and our plan was for her to be a SAH mother for the
 first year, at least (she's still home pretty much full time, 9 years
 later).  So, we hoped that she could bf during the days while I was at
 work.

          Stace was  unable to induce lactation the first time around, in
spite
 of pumping  several times a day for months before the birth, and nursing
 all day  hile I was at work.  She nursed Doran using a supplemental
 nursing  system (SNS) and hoped eventually to induce lactation.  It
didn't  happen.  Still, she had the experience of bfing, and Doran never
had  artificial formula, so it was a very worthwhile experience.
The only thing we felt we should have done differently was to start
 her bfing earlier.  Based on our lcs' advice, we waited a full month
 to make sure that bfing was firmly established, and Doran had a hard
 time adapting to nursing from Stace.  We worked through the problems,
 with the help of our lcs, but felt we should have started earlier and
 did so with subsequent children.

        When Stacy gave birth to Kendra, I had not nursed for close to
 2  years.  Still, I was able to induce lactation, and nursed
 Kendra for 4    months.  I never used the SNS.  I nursed her every
morning before
leaving for work, every evening upon return, and if I was out
 alone  with her (although I also brought expressed breastmilk if I would
be  gone a long time).  It was a very positive experience at first.I was
never able to get enough milk, though, to satisfy her after she
 hit   the 3-month growth spurt, and gave up  after another month.  I
usually say that I nursed her for 4 months, and enjoyed it for 3.  I'm
very glad I  did it.

        Kendra was still nursing, occasionally, when I gave birth to
 Zara, so  Stacy still had milk.  We both nursed her from when she was
one
 week old.  Stacy did not have enough so that I could avoid pumping while
at work,  and by 6  months Stace had lost her milk (Kendra weaned herself
a few  weeks after Zara came home from  the hospital).  Zara still nurses
 from Stace for comfort at times.  I sometimes travel on business, and
 Zara often wants to nurse from Stace  when I am away.

         We consider our experience to have been a positive and
successful one, but it was certainly not as successful as we had hoped.
I think we started out with unreealistic hopes and
expectations.   We had hoped that Stacy would be able to induce
 lactation the first time around, and that we could get to a point
 where I would no longer have to pump, where each of us would have
 enough milk for the times when we were nursing.     I don't know of
 any couple who have had that degree of success with dual
 breastfeeding.   I think that lesbian couples can learn from adoptive
mothers in
 this regard, but I think we need to be careful not to base our>
expectations upon the successes of a few women who are able to give their
adopted children 30-50% of the milk they need in the first few months
(assuming the percentages I have read are accurate). In order  to
successfully induce lactation, adoptive mothers breastfeed  round
 the clock.  When lesbian couples share breastfeeding, the non-bio
 mother generally does not get the kind of constant stimulation   an
 adoptive mother would. [ For example, in our case, Stacy nursed Doran
 during the days, while I was at work, but not at night, and not on
 weekends or vacations, because I didn't want to pump when I was not at
 work.]Consequently, I believe lesbian non-bio mothers have  less
 success from a purely ounces-of-milk per day  point of view.  But
  I don't think that's the best way of looking at it.  We have
 the  opportunity to share in a wonderful and basic contact with our
 children, one which nourishes, sustains, protects them from
 disease, provides closeness.  There's nothing like breastfeeding, and I
thoroughly recommend it.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]