From:
Royce Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 19:37:28 -0600
Marianne states *I'm not sure if you need to be corrected, Jaye, but labia
just means 'lips', so our anatomy apparently has six labia... hahaha!

OK guys, my Miler/dictionary of medicine and nursing says, "Labium (pleural
for labia) is a border or edge; a lip, then it categorizes the labia majus
as the hairy fold of skin on either side of the vulva and the labia minor as
the small fold of skin on either side, between that labia majora and the
opening of the vagina."

It also describes the frenulum as "small fold of mucosa that limits the
movement of a part" further defining the f. of clitoris, f. labiorum or
fourchette, l.linguae or tongue and the l. of the prepuce of penis; won't go
there.

I hate to split "hairs" so to speak but did want to clarify. :-)

What you permit, you promote

Royce Anderson
RN, IBCLC, RLC, CD (DONA)