From:
Sarah Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:13:04 -0400
My name is Sarah, and I am a junior nursing student at the University of North
Dakota.  I am currently enrolled in a childbearing class, and am working in the
OB setting for clinicals. I joined this listsev to learn more about breastfeeding
in hopes of it aiding me in the clinical setting. A topic that interested me
greatly was if a decreased ability to breastfeed existed after a breast
reduction.

Some women’s breasts are so heavy that they suffer from soreness in the
neck, shoulders, and back as well as they have posture problems. Several of
these women have their breasts reduced through mammoplasty, in doing so
improving their physical and mental state of health (Engstrom and Fridlund,
2000).  These women who undergo breast reduction surgery may have
additional questions pertaining to being able to breastfeed their child.

According to Chamblin (2006) the ability to successfully breastfeed relies on
the type of surgery performed for reduction. The Inferior Pedicle surgical
technique is used most often and it does not compromise the nerves or blood
supply to the nipple or areola. For that reason, it usually preserves the
capability for the breast to produce milk.  Techniques where the nipple and
areola are severed and entirely removed from blood and nerve supply result in
the greatest impairment and least chance for women to be able to produce
milk.

Souto, Giugliani, Giugliani, and Schneider (2003) reported that the duration of
exclusive or any breastfeeding was reduced in women who had a reduction
mammoplasty. According to this study, the prevalence of breastfeeding at 3
months was 54% for those who did not have breast surgery compared to 27%
for those who had a breast reduction.

What personal experiences have you had with women who breastfeed after
having a breast reduction? I would like to thank you in advance for your

Sarah, SN Univeristy of North Dakota

Chamblin, C. (2006). Breastfeeding after breast reduction: what nurses &amp;
moms need to know. AWHONN Lifelines, 10, Retrieved April 1, 2007, from
http://ejournals.ebsco.com.ezproxy.undmedlibrary.org/Direct.asp?
AccessToken=6V9V2VM89KC	NFNNLHIO3XOV39Z9Z892LHH&Show=Object

Engstrom, B.L., & Fridlund, B. (2000). Women's views of counselling received in
connection with breast-feeding after reduction mammoplasty. Journal of
Advanced Nursing, 32, Retrieved April 1, 2007, 	from
http://web.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.undmedlibrary.org/ehost/detail?
vid=12&hid=102&sid=8a2a20	9e-94a3-	4f71-8776-d9899e96fc33%
40sessionmgr102.

Souto, G. C., Giugliani, E. R., Giugliani, C., & Schneider, M.A. (2003). The
impact of breast reduction 	surgery on breastfeeding performance. Journal of
Human Lactation, 19, Retrieved April 1,2007, from http://jhl.sagepub.com.