From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:12:38 -0700
We are required to report our monthly Initiation rate to our Perinatal
P.I.Committee. We select 10 days out of a month randomly, select every 3rd
baby born in our hosp to assure we have 10% or 50 babies to meet the
'representative sample rule', & review the chart. We actually count the
recorded feeds of BR/EBM and ABM. For mixed feeds, we agreed amongst
ourselves that for "mostly Breast" or "mostly ABM" we have to see twice the
feeds in the "mostly" category, i.e. 10 BFs & 5 ABMs = Mostly Breast. If
one is not double or more the other, i.e. 9 BFs & 5 ABMs, it is rated as
Breast & Bottle (B&B). We needed to draw a line somewhere & that's where we
decided to put it for our hospital. We haven't seen any uniform definition
of "<BR, B&B, <ABM" from other sources. We are also trying to review any
followup visits we can find to record the stated feeding method at any
given clinic / hospital visit.

So far, our initiation rates counted in this way range from 70% to 80%.
Exclusive Breast at discharge ranges from 0% to 8%. Not real thrilling, but
a great many of our moms are welfare moms & get little or not prenatal care
& no info classes.

I don't know how other hospitals in my city collect their data, but I will
find out. No, we do not relate it to immunizations. Many of our moms don't
bring their kids back in after the immediate post-discharge followup Peds
visit until the child has to go to school - then they have to play catchup
with immunizations.

> I am on a "Mayor's Breastfeeding: Healthy Kids 2010" committee, and we are
> taking on the task of starting to obtain some useful data on bf initiation
> and duration rates in our city/county.  Is there anyone out thre who has
> already started doing this, and can you share your wisdom?  What works,
and
> what does not?  Has anyone linked it to immunization data at all?
> Thanks-
> Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC
> Medical Director
> MilkWorks, a nonprofit breastfeeding center providing consultations,
> education, support and related supplies in Lincoln, NE

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC

PS: I have come to believe that many of the moms are saying what they think
the hosp/clinic staff "want to hear" re feedings. So many of them say they
are BFing every 2-3 hrs & following with 2-4oz ABM. I went to the clinic
for a followup visit with a 4 mo.old. Most of mom's problems were related
to normal 4 mo.old behavior, IMHO, at the time. In the process, mom told me
she BF's, feels she is losing her milk, offers about 4oz ABM once in a
while, but baby doesn't like it. When I left the clinic, there she was on
the curb awaiting her ride. Baby was reclining in her stoller sucking away
on a propped 8oz bottle of ABM & not behaving in the least like "she
doesn't like it."  My help for the baby is useless when mom does't tell me
the truth.