From:
Beverley Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 02:05:51 +1100
Firstly the drinking straw was so well described.  Got it in one read.

JAW ACTION ON PALM OF HAND.

I used another lactnetters story TONIGHT with the mouth and chin on hand
Demonstrates the jaw action ideally.  Ask the mother to put her face into
(the palm) OF her hand then tip her head forward so the nose is pressed in
and the jaw out then ask her to suck the palm of her hand.  Next ask her to
repeat the same position but tilt her head back then suck the palm of her
hand.  This demonstrates where the jaw should be in relation to the breast.

THE DILEMMA
I was out with friends for dinner TONIGHT and was  called in next door to
see the delightful 2,300 gram baby of a Vietnamese couple - one an
accountant, one an engineer and baby born 36 hours previously.

The baby looked well hydrated despite the heat.  She asked me to watch her
feed AS her nipples were sore and breasts firm and lumpy.  Wow.  The baby
had a tongue tie as well.  Poor latching, nipple in the baby's eye.
Grandma - mother  of the husband advised lots of clothes for Ying and Yang
- baby hot.  For lumps I advised cold (frozen peas) alternating heat and
massage

The doctor had said that as the baby was small (both parents were
minute!!!) to feed the baby Oscar three hourly.  Well was this ever an
opportunity and a situation.  By the time my husband had read the evening
paper  Oscar had attached and suckled well with mother only technique and
BEV's no hands technique.  The baby needed lifting 6 inches as the nipple
was entering the baby's eye each time.

The baby did not hurt this time and we could hear the milk pouring in.

The three hourly rule was discussed and discarded so that the baby was not
woken for feeds and allowed to cry when ready.  We used Oscar the name to
ask mum to create an O with her mouth and repeat the words "open Oscar".
This created some relaxation and removal of tension.

QUESTION
But the hospital midwife was coming tomorrow.  I asked her to mention
tongue tie to midwife (or call me if needed)  I left my card and asked her
to ask for an LC from the hospital.  Several IBCLC's on hospital staff.

What do you do here?  My close friend lives next door.  This lovely couple
said yes to everything in their oriental way.  I feel a strong urge to
follow up but  I did not feel like charging and hoped the hospital midwife
would not dispute the
conduct of this feeding incident.

The couple already were confused by previous conflicting statements!! What
else is new.  My friend (not a midwife)  suggested that it was like a
Vietnamese family meal, lots of food variety "taste them all but have more
of the one you like".

Regards

Beverley Walker  Melbourne Australia