From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 11:42:07 +0200
Jay notes that some posts on recent cases involving neonatologists are
dangerously close to doctor-bashing.
As one of the posters on the NEC thread I hope my post was seen for what it
was, which was factual information pertaining to the incidence of NEC in
units where formula is virtually never used for tiny premies.  These babies
seem to get fed p.o. earlier than they might in many units in N. America
too, and that might have something to do with it.  I think the Scandinavian
preference for human milk as the first human food, preferably tailor-made by
the mother of the baby, is an example of evidence-based practice.

I have no knowledge on which to base a comparison between the intelligence
of dirt and neonatologists, and thus would not venture an opinion on that.
I will say that I don't believe I have ever mistaken a neonatologist for
dirt, or vice versa.  The ones I know are at least as smart as the average
IBCLC, in fact, and as well-intentioned.  Some of them are downright
charming in addition.

Informed practice is something I personally expect from every practitioner
who treats me or members of my family.  Call it evidence-based,
knowledge-based, research-based, it boils down to my expectation that the
clinician of whatever licensure takes seriously her or his obligation to
stay up to date in the field, and to know her or his limits.  Blowing the
whistle when I come across practitioners who don't meet the mark is not
bashing, in my book.

just my 50 ml!
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway