Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:37:21 -0400
I've seen several lactnet references lately to a correct latch and can't
find them again.  At least one referred to the recent paper in Breastfeeding
Review.

Something that bothers me in the article and in other comments is the
assumption that we even *know* what the components of a correct or optimal
latch are.  We've always *thought* we've known:  baby turns his head toward
the nipple, or nipple is centered, or rapid arm movement is used, or
observer can see a wide corner on the mouth.  Well, I wouldn't reall call
*any* of those "correct" any more.  It wouldn't surprise me if a study found
that seeing a wide corner wasn't very helpful; in a newborn, I don't like
like see a corner at all.  We *think* an asymmetrical latch is the way to
go... or is it some corollary to the asymmetry that's actually important?

When we find that a "correct" component of latch doesn't make much
difference in nipple pain... maybe it's because it's not as correct as we
think it is.  I've had my own paradigm for a good latch turned on its ear
several times in several ways in the past year.  It's humbling, confusing...
and very exciting.

Now that we're starting to do research on positioning, let's be really,
really careful not to lead ourselves astray with words like "correct" or
"optimal".  A simple "this is one thing that did or didn't seem to help"
makes for better science, and will probably help us untangle the latch
puzzle faster.
--
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com