Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:14:51 -0700
> I have not read the study yet, but I have a hard time believing,(based on
> what I have seen with the moms I have worked with), that there is no
> benefit to an double electric pump used in a proper manner (pumping 8 times
> a day)  VS the isis.   Perhaps with the limited pumping schedule the
> mothers were using, the benefit was lost?
>
> Lori Peters RN/IBCLC
> Kenosha Hospital & Medical Center

I have read this study and the results are not nearly as impressive as
they first seem. The measurements are taken at 6 or 8 weeks out (I can't
remember which) on women who have been full-time breastfeeding. There is
no comparison amongst those trying to maintain a supply in the absence
of a newborn and certainly no mention of establishing a supply with the
Isis.

I personally found the "headlines" to be misleading. Why? Perhaps
because I associate the name Lucas with NICU babies and studies and I
assumed, albeit briefly, that this was the population being looked at.

Just goes to prove that one must always search out the original article!

Susan Keith-Hergert RNC, MS, IBCLC
Holistic Natal Care
Cincinnati