From:
Susan Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:39:36 +1000
After Mary's post asking about Australia, I did tear myself away from our
BBQ, and temperatures in the 90's (aren't I good to have translated for
those who are metrically deprived!) or for us, mid 30's. It is now 7.30pm
and just gotten dark!
We no longer see engorgement, and rarely fullness that needs any treatment
except normal "feed and let the other breast drip".
I remember very well in the dark ages of timed feeds how many women were
sent to Xray for ultrasound treatment of their engorged breasts, and the
ward was characterised by ladies walking with the 'front row forward look'
(arms held out by very full breasts) and how they dreaded the hugs their
husbands wanted to share!

Of course, all our babies live with their mum's and rarely, if ever, get
anything else in their mouth but mum.

I do recall a young girl who became severely engorged, necessitating a
midnight mercy  dash to her- the only thing of benefit was the Epsom salts
soak in very warm water, her breasts were so clogged. Once the flow came,
all was well.

Susan in rather warm Queensland, Australia,
proud aunt to 2 new Maltese puppies- fully breastfed on demand of course!