Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:32:53 EST
Dear Friends:
    Yesterday, a new client taught me something.
    Many mothers become very concerned with the effort their babies make as
they move their bowels. In a training class I was teaching last month, this
came up. I asked the class how we would look if someone photographed us while
we were having a bowel movement? Stooling is sometimes more work than at
other times. Babies are no different.
    This mother told me that when her baby strained to pass stool after a
feed, while still lying in her arms, she interpreted it as something being
wrong with her milk or with the feeding or with her.
    It makes sense. Hold and breastfeed; then baby starts grunting and
squirming and making faces......it is logical to associate the two.
    What do you all think?
    Warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CSTP
Elkins Park (a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; northeastern USA)
supporter of the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative