From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:21:38 -0500
My opinion on this issue is that attachment is not valued by main stream
society as yet.  Children NEED their mum until they are ready to be away
from her.  The age when the child is ready for separations depends on
the child.  This is something LLL has cited for years.

Governments need to acknowledge, understand, support and promote infant
attachment for the good of the society.  Luckily it is starting to
happen up here in Canada.  One year maternity leaves are coming next
year and the government is realizing how important the first years are
for young children.  I keep working and hoping that parent-child
togetherness will gain support and popularity.

Janet Vandenberg RN, BScN, IBCLC
Public Health Nurse
Newmarket, Ontario