From:
Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:18:22 +0800
Can someone explain to me why vitimin K is given to newborns?  I thought it
had someting to do with blood clotting   I attenede a Breastfeeding Seminar
here in Perth this weekend and at the seminar it was stated that breastfed
babies had to have vitimin K to introduce bacteria to the gut so they will
be able to digest properly and won't be as likely to get sick.  The vitimin
K in question is given oraly.  Did I miss something?  I was so surprised to
hear this that I didn't even know what questions to ask to make it make
sense to me.  Any one out there who can clear this up for me?  Thanks, Nancy
Sherwood  LLLL, IBCLC Perth, Ausrtalia