From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:10:51 -0700
A little more information, since I'm familiar with some of the story. It
actually is *not* common for goat's rue to be tinctured into vinegar. When
Kathryn Higgins of Motherlove Herbal first decided to start providing goat's
rue, an herb that is not common in the U.S., she did some research and
learned that the herb would release its properties better into a
vinegar-type base than the normal alcohol. Wanting to get the most out of
the herb and make the highest quality product possible, she developed her
tincture process according to this research. I would be surprised to find
anyone else using the same method.

Goat's Rue is most common to France, Germany, Romania, and the other
countries of that region. Here in the U.S. it is considered a "noxious weed"
and so cannot be grown freely; the conditions must be controlled. (I don't
have all the details, but that's the gist of them). Because it is not native
to the U.S., we just don't have as much experience with the herb as the
European countries do, including optimal preparation methods. Like many of
you, I would love to have an analysis of the different goat's rue
preparations on the market for overall quality, but I don't know of anyone
who cares enough about this otherwise obscure herb to do this.

~Lisa Marasco