Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:08:27 EST
In a message dated 2/18/2009 3:58:18 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Jan, looking back, could your increased knowledge  have slowed *your* 1984
home-birthed model down?  I'm really trying to  sort this out, and I *know* it
sounds romantic to say that those earlier  babies had less trouble.  But if
there really is a difference in  percentage of non-latchers, and if any of that
is a result of our technique  and not the epidural rate, we can change  that!>>

I really don't think so, because I didn't know ALL that much more with him
than I did with the other two.  I expected that he would just --  latch!  And
he -- just DIDN'T!  He was also the baby for which I had  NO milk on the left
side with NO explanation other than a mastitis with number 2  6 years
previously.

I knew what to do with Tim -- he just didn't *get* it.  I'm still not  sure
why.

I've often thought about the differences between my early years at the
hospital, and my now years.  Being at the same facility for 26 years does  lend a
certain amount of perspective, and having been in OB since 1972, yes,  there IS
a difference between now and then.

If moms stopped breastfeeding early, it wasn't because the babies couldn't
latch -- it was because they had intractable sore nipples, or a mastitis that
their docs told them to stop bf (that was my 1978 experience -- which I didn't
 do), or a fear that the baby wasn't getting enough.  Scheduling was still
of paramount importance back in the 70's and early 80's, and if your baby
didn't  go the requisite period of time between feeds, then it was due to lack of
milk.  For all those things there wasn't the help that there is now, even
though we did have LLL -- not many women actually took advantage of their  help.

But latching didn't seem to be the huge issue it is today --

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Education  Consultants
_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com/)
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.