From:
Katherine Catone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:14:50 -0800
I'm glad to see that there is some specific hope for those dealing with
this situation.  Back in the 80's, I dealt with an American mom
(civilian) whose husband worked for a contracter with the American
military and their health care was thru the US Army.  This mom had
postpartum psychosis, eventually diagnosed with bi-polar.  But at the
time this mother was determined to breastfeed and when she insisted
on expressing when hospitalized the Psych decided that her determination
to breastfeed was part of her illness and there would be no sign of her
improving until she gave up this 'obsession' with nursing.  He would not
accept any outside information (other than his own).  And the husband was
not open to getting a 2nd opinion even if it was AF docs and not in the
German civilian world.
    This mom did wean so she could go home to her baby, and she did
breastfeed her 2nd child for 2 years.  I worked with her too, giving her
permission to grieve the loss of the nursing relationship which she
needed to do in order to continue healing.  Unfortunately her 1st child
has had some problems that could be tracked back to the early weaning and
the traumatic separation from Mom.

Elizabeth Hormann, do you remember this case?  Elizabeth was MY shoulder
to cry during this ordeal.  It was difficult because I had a personal
relationship with this couple as well.  We've had limited contact since
as they appear to have eliminated contact with anyone who is familiar
with their experience.

So we move ahead a few paces and then back one or two.  I think there is
much more documentation now to share with a mental health professional
than there was then.

Katherine A. Catone, LLLL, IBCLC