From:
Paula Ray Hiett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:57:17 -0500
I have looked through the archives and did not find much on galactagoges and
bypass surgery. I understand that Reglan is not appropriate because it
increases the gastric motility. Mom did give me permission to post this
question. This is her second baby and she  has a history of insufficient
supply , and visually appears to have decreased glandular tissue, can she use
goat's rue?    She is on B-12 injections once a month, and does admit that
she is about 1 week late on her dose because of delivery. Baby is now 9 days
old. Had lost -12% by day 5 of life. Is unable to pump anything, does not have
noticable breast growth, and did not have sucessful milk supply with previous
child. Tried Fenugreek with last baby - unhelpful- she does produce some
small volume, and nursed with a SNS for 6 weeks with the last child.  When
the baby lost so much weight at day 5, we started on the SNS, with 1 to 2 oz
of formula each feed, and she gained 9 oz. in 4 days. THis mom would really
love to increase her supply, baby is an assertive nurser, and will feed for 30 to
40 min. each feed, so I have not encouraged "extra" pumping. I felt it would
wear out the mom. Any insite into the goat's rue, or other suggestions?
THanks,
Paula Hiett
Good Shepherd Medical Center
Longview, TExas