Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 22:41:59 -0700
Hi,
  I have taught in many classrooms of all ages about breastfeeding. I find
the kids are very receptive to the subject when I tell them about other
mammals first.  We talk about whales, cows, cats, and what each animal needs
when it is first born. Such as whales need to stay warm, the baby needs to
put on fat (blubber), so their moms milk is high in fat.  We can then talk
about how much a whale gains each day - 10 lbs an hour! When the children
understand why a mammal needs certain types of mom's milk they can then
understand why a baby would need only its mom's milk.  I have taught this to
many kids over the years, the older kids now tell me they remember what I've
told them - and have even taught their younger siblings!     Judith IBCLC,
Oceanside, CA