From:
kym smythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:27:52 -0500
Here are my comments sent via their web page:

I write in response to your "Advantages of Natural Feeding"/"Advantages
of Bottle Feeding".  I was saddened by the misinformation throughout.
Dads can share in feeding time many ways.  They can also share many
other special baby care activities like bathing, walking, and playing.

Most breastfeeding mothers are able to eat whatever they choose.  In
fact babies have been found to nurse for longer periods of time when
their mothers have eaten garlic.  Babies get to sample the flavors their
mother has eaten, while formula fed babies get the same thing every
time.

It is because of our societal attitudes about breasts as sexual objects
that some mothers feel uncomfortable breastfeeding in public.  With a
little practice, it is easy to breastfeed very discretely.  Many of us
pass nursing moms and babies all the time without ever knowing that they
are nursing!

Many women who breastfeed only experience warmth and closeness with
their baby - never discomfort!

Breastfeeding should not be uncomfortable.  If it is, moms should
consult with a breastfeeding support group or Board Certified Lactation
Consultant to correct any difficulties.

Formula actually takes longer to digest than breastmilk because it has
so much more waste and unnecessary ingerients.  Did you know that some
formulas are almost 50% sugar?  I would muchprefer the children in my
world receive a far superior food than need to eat less.

With all of the products, some even really good ones, on the market and
with the new American Academy of Pediatrics Guidelines for infant
feeding, I hope Target will review the information presented in this
format as well as others.  I shop, and spend my money, in places that
have values consistent with my own.  So far I will not bring my business
back to Target.  In fact, I will actively discourage friends and family
from shopping Tarhget as well!

I eagerly anticipate your response.

Sincerely, Kym Smythe

PS - Should you wish to revise your information and truly talk about the
Advantages of Natural Feeding, I would be pleased to put you in contact
with some excellent resources.