From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:07:19 EDT
Ruth,
The AF in Lotrimin (clotrimazol) stands for antifungal, not athlete's foot.
I've been recommending it for nipple thrush since it first became available over
the counter (6 years?).  I can't tell you how thrilled I was at that time to not
have to try to direct a mother to another physician if hers was ill-informed and
unwilling to be educated.  Before I started suggesting it, I had my very
favorite Pediatrician read through the ingredients.  She certainly is no
pharmacist, but couldn't see anything she thought would be harmful if ingested
in minute amounts--most of the ingredients are found in processed foods.  It
seems to now be the drug of choice around here for nipples--most of the docs
recommend it also.  I *very* occasionally find a mother who reacts to it, but
unless the moms just aren't telling me, it is exceedingly rare.

Many of the Peds also recommend Lotrimin AF for yeasty diaper rash.  I think you
ARE over-reacting--my PDR is a few years old but unless something has changed,
the ingredients in Lotrimin AF cream and Gyne-lotrimin (for vaginal yeast) are
exactly the same.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC, Appleton, WI