From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 17:10:32 -0700
HI All,
Darillyn writes:

I'm afraid I'm having a hard time understanding why a few of you are so
quick to come to the defense of the formula companies and berate anyone
who even thinks about goat milk in any form.

I have to say that I have been following this topic quite closely and have
yet to read any beratement from anyone.  What I have seen is a frank
discussion and a list of the different amounts of "stuff" in breastmilk as
compared to cow's and goat's milks.  I, too, believe that the best stuff for
human babies is human milk, but when neccessary, ABM is closer to human milk
in solute load (though still far from perfect) to human milk.  I also
believe that people have the right to make their own choices about what they
feed their babies.  If someone raises a child on evaporated milk formula and
the child does fine then they will believe that it is fine for all babies.
Same goes for ABM/AIM and goats milk.  SOme babies have been raised on
straight cows milk (my hubby) from 2 mo on, and he "did just fine" according
to his mom.  (BTW, he was a sickly baby, but was surviving so that is the
basis of "doing just fine" )There will always be the babies who "thrive" on
whatever they are fed regardless of what studies show or prove otherwise.
Let's not turn this into a "I have to defend myself and what I did"
discussion.  I do not believe for one minute that anyone wants this or had
this type of reaction in mind.
We all have our own opinions (Opinions are like rectums <substitute other
word for rectum, I am just being polite here>, everyone has one) and we all
have a right to our opinions.    We all do the best we can with what info we
have at the time.  Goodness knows, if I had known then what I know now, my
oldest child (11.5 yrs) would never have been on jarred baby food for two
years before getting "real" food!

Take care all, and let the anger and defensiveness subside.  We are all
friends here, remember?

Hugs!   Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA