From:
Cher Sealy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 09:03:20 -0500
I am working with a mom and 6-week old baby who has just been diagnosed with laryngomalacia.  Mom has given me permission to post.  Weight gain has been wonderful, but baby gasps for air during feeding.  After working with her to change baby's position, she reports much less gasping.  However, the pediatrician recommended mom see a pulmonologist.  Barium swallow tests showed the larynx collapsing with thin barium but not with thicker.  Consequently, the doctor recommended mom quit breastfeeding and put pumped breastmilk "thickened" with cereal into a bottle.  I questioned the mom as to whether she could really thicken her breastmilk.  She replied, "Not really, but I didn't want to tell the doctor because I was afraid he would tell me to use formula."  He told her how wonderful breastmilk was for babies and how his own children had been breastfed.  He also told her she could probably go back to breastfeeding in another 6-8 weeks or so.  Why is it that doctors don't understand how hard these words are to hear?  I have recommended that she put the baby to the breast after pumping and feeding for some comfort time.  I have searched the archives, and have found much discussion about laryngomalacia.  Nowhere did I read about putting breastmilk into a bottle.  Does anyone know of any references that recommend continuing to breastfeed?  Any help would be so appreciated!
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Encounter
Montgomery, AL