From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:21:02 -0400
I felt like I had to respond to the flow of comments about qualifications for
the exam.  I took the breastfeeding course at Evergreen three years ago and
found it wonderful, but the one thing you come away with...along with all the
information...it that you are really just beginning.  I have worked with
breastfeeding mothers for 15 years as a nursery nurse, childbirth educator
 and nursing my two boys a long time so when I started to estimate my time as
required to sit for the IBCLC I did estimate and most of my time was only in
the hospital.  BUT, for a beginning profession in the boonies there is no
real opportunity to get the real hands on experience I probably should have
had.  I was told by our teachers at Evergreen that the IBCLC is important but
only the beginning.  And regardless of where you come from, it's the process
of preparing and study that BEGINS.  I feel the test process was the
beginning of my education.  I must say lactnet has been an invaluable part of
my continuing education as well as mothers and babies.  We're all learning
guys...and people cheat on all kinds of tests not just the IBCLC...but most
don't...life and learning is what you want to make it.

Happy World Breastfeeding Week and have you been wearing your T Shirts?
Linda Rosetti RN, IBCLC
Clarkston, Wa.