From:
Robin Frees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 18:37:20 -0400
P Shifer,
I am currently preparing a talk for a counselor workshop for volunteer
counselors in my area. The talk is on counselling skills and perceptions. We
need to be very careful about what we say and HOW we say it when we do BF
education. Think about the feedback you have from this teen... She MAY try to
BF but she first tells the CPN she will formula feed. I think that says you
got her at least thinking about BF but your class didn't quite "pull her in
". Also, the thing that she was most impressed with was this "nipple
confusion" This is NOT the perception you want people to think of when they
think of BF.
Maybe rather than talk about PROBLEMS and how to avoid them we should be
talking about all the wonderful positive points we can think of ,both
advantages for the baby AND the mother( I think TEEN MOTHERS need to hear
what's in it for them). Maybe their perceptions of BF will be positive after
the talk rather than doubtful. If a program is in place to support mothers
postpartum than you can address problems IF they arise at a later date and
not emphasize them prenatally. Our workshop is going to examine our "Getting
Started Talk" with this in mind. Perceptions create an individual's reality.
Change those perceptions and that can have a powerful impact on how people
behave. Of course this is easier said than done!!!
Robin B. Frees, BA, IBCLC