From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 06:57:59 -0500
I don't have any research on the topics, but two comments come to mind:

1. There is a difference between solids, particularly solids that
require molars, and exclusive breastfeeding. Complementary foods begin
rather mushy and move to more solid over time. Chomping on solid
things make gums feel better when teething.

2. More importantly, whatever the mother plans, the child will likely
have other opinions on this that he or she will act upon. How old is
the baby now? What does the mother's (and father's) parenting style
seem to be? It will take a lot of force, physical or otherwise, to
prevent a 1.5 or 2 year old from eating thinks other than mother's milk.
You may want to discuss child led feeding. Our kids give us many cues
about what they are ready for when with regard to food and other
developmental milestones.

Naomi

On Feb 26, 2009, at 3:04 AM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> Has anyone heard of exclusive breastfeeding until a child has 2-year
> molars. This doesn't seem safe to me and I can't find any information
> on it. We know someone in our community who is planning to do this and
> I would like more info. Thanks!

Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.
Executive Director
Mothers' Milk Bank of New England