From:
"A. Bon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 10:33:33 +0200
<<<I believe this study is VERY significant in the US, where average
maternity leaves are 4 weeks. Aren't maternity leaves considerably
longer in the Netherlands?>>>

no we do not have long maternity leaves in the Netherlands. about 8 -10 weeks postpartum.
Most women wean their baby's long before that (77% at birth, at one month 46%, 21% at 3
months of the women breastfeed ). Several researches in our country show that weaning is not
related with working. Weaning occurs during the first weeks (like in he US), bc women lack
support and informataion to overcome the initial problems.

I'm wondering of the early weaning in your country is seen as related to work, bc maternity
leave is so short, while it may not allways be related to that, like in my country, where
most women also wean during the first weeks.

I do not refute this research. I would only want to point out that work and breastfeedign
aren't allways incompatible.

We do have a law that have implemented parts of the ILO rules for nursign breaks (up to 9
motnmhs a woman can take nursing breaks during work times, up to a quarter of the worktime.
These breaks are paid as work time.).

Annelies Bon
counsellor of the Dutch bf organization Borstvoeding Natuurlijk