From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:21:53 EST
I have to share my experience last week with helping breastfeed triplets.
Babies were born at 35 weeks and all were healthy, weighing betweeen 5 and 6
1/2 lb. each. They left the hospital with mom never latching.  When I
assisted with latch, the babies demonstrated the usual on/off behavior
typically displayed by the inability to retain the negative pressure to
sustain a latch.  I brought out the shields and mom and dad said it was
magic!  The babies sustained their latch.  I headed the assembly line, and it
was so much fun!  Mother-in-law changed the diaper for the 1st baby up, I
weighed the baby on the scale for her pre-feed weight, dad adjusted pillows
and made sure mom was comfortable, I assisted baby onto breast and gulps were
heard! Then the same process was conducted for the 2nd baby.  Mother-in-law
changed diaper which aroused the baby.  After weight obtained, I assisted
with positioning baby on other breast, and mom even allowed me to take photos
of her simultaneously nursing with my new digital camera!  Then when the
first baby fell off satiated, we took the 3rd baby and latched so that she
was still simultaneously nursing.  The whole process was complete in about 1
hr. 15 min. and babies each took 14 cc's, 34 cc's, and 70 cc's.  Mom had time
then to eat, go to the bathroom, and rest before the next feeding session.
Isn't she great?!
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL