Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 09:43:09 +0000
Every woman that I have seen who has a periareolar scar has had trouble
producing milk.  Every one.  I just makes me sick that surgeons do this
sort of incision to make the breast "look better".  Surgeons would be
sued into poverty if they did the same thing in any other part of the
body.  Imagine ruining the function of the part in order to make it look
better.  A plastic surgeon who made beautiful noses but the patient
could breathe through his nose afterwards would be rightly spending most
of his time in court.  It just emphasizes how surgeons (and most other
people in our society) understand the function of the breast.  To
attract men, not to make milk.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC