From:
Terri Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:57:30 -0400
I just had to chime in on this one after following the posts. I have been
working with moms for 14 years had various reasons and yes some excuses for
not taking the IBCLC exam. Some of the excuses was wanting to get more
experience and learn more to be able to pass the exam. Also making sure I am
competent for the credential it carries. I work in a growing community but only
have about 500 births a year so I don't get to see alot of problems but do
have a few challenges and I keep looking to you as the experts to assist me.
With the competency issues, maybe I don't have to be so hard on myself in
thinking I'll pass. I work in a hospital setting. My main goal is to help our moms
feel confident and knowledgable about breastfeeding their baby. I give them
follow up support and they call me with concerns as well. I do my best at
teaching the staff. That one takes alot longer but we have made alot of
progress. We have gone from 46% breastfeeding to 76%. Now trying to keep
the numbers from falling off so soon after the first 6 weeks.
Terri Klein RN CLE CLC