From:
Elaine Mazgelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:19:12 -0500
I just want to comment on the letter re WIC and Breastfeeding (I'm sorry
I don't know how to cut and paste). I have always worked in the
Massachusetts WIC Program and know nothing about the WIC program you
mentioned. I can speak as someone who has worked for WIC and I know that
each state DOES have  bf promotion. I think part of the issue you raised
is that usually when Nutritionists are first hired on, many are new
college grads. Much of the bf education they receive is through state and
local WIC trainings. WIC DOES try very very hard to educate new Nutrition
Staff about breastfeeding, but it doesn't happen instantly. ...it takes a
while for the education to sink in. I have often thought it's better to
have a requirement for WIC employment be that you have either 1) raised
your own kids or 2) have had a lot of exposure to kids. However, the
requirement for a Nutritionist is that they have a college degree in
Nutrition. AS a WIC Nutritionist, I know for a fact that we Nutritionists
learn much from our Nutrition Assistants (those who may not have gone to
college but may have raised several kids of their own) and from
participants , most of whom LOVE to share knowledge if you are
interested, that I couldn't learn from a book.

Basically, I would like to say we are WORKING on improving all staff
knowledge base. It's not a perfect system, but we are TRYING.

Sincerely,
Elaine Mazgelis, RD, IBCLC
WIC BF Coordinator and Peer Counselor Coordinator
Cambridge-Somerville WIC