From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:44:25 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2005 12:53:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Jen, you  need to get in touch with Paula Meier at Rush in Chicago.  She
knows  nifty ways to get more hindmilk into baby.

One way would be for mom to  begin pumping  and then put baby to breast after
letdown, when we know  hind milk is being pushed out.

Dear Colleagues:
    Foremilk is the milk taken out first before the  feed begins; hindmilk is
the milk remaining after the feed is finished. Those  are technical terms,
that I have been told come from the dairy industry.
    Foremilk does not mean low-fat; hindmilk  does not mean high-fat.
    MERs promote mixing of fat into milk; wouldn't this  statement be more
accurate if it read, "......... being pumping and then put  baby to breast after
letdown, when we know more fat is being added to the milk."  ?
    By the way, thanks for the great tip.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative