From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 18:20:56 +0800
Chris and others
As a doctor myself (of the MD variety), I have to agree with Chris'
original posting. There are SOME MDs who think they are a higher form
of life than the rest of us, and do look down on anyone who isn't an
MD like them. It is not just lactation that they have problems with,
but a great many other ideas such as alternative medicine, attachment
parenting, and anything that questions their 'wisdom' as the only
'experts' on anthing vaguely medical.
I have seen Jack Newman berate MDs on several occasions on Lactnet,
and don't remember him being attacked for his views. We all know good
MDs, and bad MDs. We all tell of our frustrations with dealing with
the bad ones. Some MDs don't relate well to anyone telling them
anything unless they are also an MD (Dr Jack will agree with this I
think).
The way we select and train MDs changes slowly. The 'new breed' of
doctor in Australia is very different from the old guard (but not
completely!!!).
Remember - we're all on the same side on Lactnet!

Fiona

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia