From:
Beth Seidel Ibclc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:55:34 -0400
Hi all,

I facilitate a support group of breastfeeding moms and one of the moms from
the group called me today to tell me that she had been told by her niece's
3rd grade teacher, as the mom sat in the hallway of the niece's school
breastfeeding her 3 month old, that she had better cover up while feeding or
"better yet" go in the bathroom as this was not an appropriate place "to be
doing that."  So the mom went home and called the superintendent who
basically blew her off after asking her if she had a remedy for the problem.
I encouraged her to turn it into a positive and tell them that she would
like to provide education to the 3rd grade class (and of course to the
teacher!) on feeding babies.  She called back and the superintendent told
her that it was "problematic" as that was sex education and they would have
to get permission slips signed from the parents.  The mom told her it did
not have anything to do with sex and he disagreed.

I would love ideas from any of you who have done education on the grade
school level about how we could overcome these barriers and what to include
in the curriculum!

Thanks!
Beth Seidel, BA, IBCLC
Mapleton, IL